Also known as Gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM), it is the diabetes where pregnant women get high blood sugar especially at the time of their third trimester. It occurs when insulin receptors mal functions. It is normally diagnosed by screening during pregnancy. Doctors also specify a healthy gestational diabetes diet plan for faster recovery and less complication.
The symptoms of gestational diabetes are really less. During the tests, the glucose level is detected as too high in blood samples. This disease affects 3-10% of pregnancies in general. Gestational diabetes disappears when the baby is born. Babies born during this time may create complications to the mother. The baby that is born may face severe complications such as increased weight, unnatural behavior and minimum hunger.
Risk factors of gestational diabetes
To avoid risks of occurring gestational diabetes during pregnancy one must evaluate a proper gestational diabetes diet from the start. Some of the risks factors are as follows-
- A diagnosis previously occurred of prediabetes or gestational diabetes, impaired fasting glycaemia or impaired glucose tolerance.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome is one of the risk factor to take into account.
- A family history about someone having TYPE 2 diabetes.
- Being overweight or severely obese is one of the important factors of risks of gestational diabetes.
- Poor obstetric history previously.
- Genetic factors may be a reason to worry for gestational diabetes.
- The age of the woman is an important factor for gestational diabetes, the more the age, and the more the risks are.
There are other various factors which should be taken into account. Doctors make the gestational diabetes diet just by keeping these things in mind.
Most of the gestational diabetes patients are smokers or has got drinking habits. In this modern world people are too stressed out that they don’t think about their future. We all know that smoking is injurious to health. But still people smoke to be relaxed, thus these pregnancy diabetic complications are created. Thus, making a gestational diabetes diet can help you save some problems or help one to control their eager to smoke.
What is screening?
Screen is a process through which the level of sugar and blood pressure is analyzed during or before gestational diabetes. Screening also includes the evaluation of the gestational diabetes diet. It recognizes the glucose level during pregnancy or whether the insulin level is perfectly manufactured.
Screening also helps in avoiding further problems with diabetes, especially gestational diabetes. The cause of gestational diabetes maybe is irregular food habits, less exercise, drinking alcohol or smoking but the primary cause is still unknown.
Screening is a must process during pregnancy or else women face a lot of complications. Besides, it helps in checking the condition of the baby in the womb. It ensures whether the baby is getting the proper nutrients it needs.
How to avoid gestational diabetes?
There are many ways by which one can avoid gestational diabetes, some are as follows-
- Quit smoking, as it is a lot injurious to health. It makes the lungs worse and makes people weak. Smoking is also a reason to score cancer in the body. It hampers the overall blood circulation in the body which creates a lot of blood pressure and thus gestational diabetes occurs during pregnancy.
- Quit drinking as it is another habit that a woman should leave to have a healthy baby without any gestational diabetic problem. Drinking gives a lot of alcohol to the body which affects the immune system thus diabetes occurs.
- One should get a healthy gestational diabetes diet from the doctor they are consulting, thus it may provoke women to follows a diet chart which will keep the baby safe in the womb.
- The best way to avoid gestational diabetes is to avoid junk food. One needs to make a plan for the whole day.
- Avoid increasing weight as being healthier can get you gestational diabetes during pregnancy. Many women in the world face this problem and a solution to this problem is a proper diet and exercise.
- One should remember to exercise daily to have a healthy baby and basically to avoid gestational diabetes.