Diabetes Mellitus, better known as diabetes is used to refer to a group of diseases associated with the metabolism in the body of an individual. The major syndromes include high levels of blood sugar in an individual’s body for considerable periods. If diabetes is left untreated, it can have several adverse effects on the help of an individual. Hence, it is highly recommended that individuals diagnosed with diabetes maintain their blood sugar levels. The easiest way to do is by maintaining a doctor’s / nutritionist’s prescribed diet for diabetes. This diet however must be accompanied by a small amount of exercise on a daily basis.
How does diabetes occur?
Diabetes occurs due to two major reason. Either the pancreas of an individual’s stops functioning or doesn’t function as per the body’s requirement as far as production of insulin is concerned or the cells of an individual’s body isn’t able to respond properly to the insulin that is generated. By maintaining a diet for diabetes, individuals can control the intake of carbohydrates and glucose.
Symptoms of diabetes
Though diabetes can lead to numerous symptoms, some of the most common ones are listed below:
- An increase in the frequency of thirst in an individual in a very common symptom of diabetes patients.
- Another major symptoms that leads to several problematic situations is frequent uncontrollable urinations.
- A drastic increase in hunger is also a very common symptom as far as diabetes patients are concerned. This is one of the reason as to why maintaining a diet for diabetes is crucial.
Long term impacts of diabetes
Diabetes may cause some serious damage to your health in the event that it is not treated properly.
Some of the major impacts include the following:
- An increase in the risk of strokes.
- Diabetes often leads to numerous diseases related to the cardiovascular system of an individual.
- Individuals suffering from diabetes may also come across foot ulcer. This however is rare.
- It reduces the eye sight of an individual by damaging certain components permanently.
- Patients with extremely high levels of blood sugar often face chronic kidney failures which in turn have a negative effect on the blood sugar levels.
To avoid such long term irreversible impacts, it would be wise for individuals to adopt a proper diet for diabetes in the event that any member of the family has been diagnosed with the same.
The importance of weight loss diet for diabetes
Overweight is a major reason behind diabetes. An increase in weight increases the risk of being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Hence you can see that losing weight can be a good means to deal with diabetes and there couldn’t be a better option to lose weight that to maintain a proper diet accompanied by a small amount of exercise.
If you compare the risk of diabetes on the basis of gender, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that women are more prone to diabetes than men. If a man and a woman develops a few extra kilos between his or her 30s and 40s, then the risk of the man being diagnosed with diabetes increases by one and a half times where as in case the woman, the risk increases to almost four times. This in turn makes it more crucial for women as compared to men to follow a diet for diabetes so as to control the blood sugar levels in his or her blood.
The best diet for diabetic patients
Well, the best diet for diabetes patients must comprise of fresh vegetables and roots, nuts beans, etc. A proper diet for diabetics must be free from any sort of alcohol what so ever especially beers. However, it must be noted that having nothing at all can harm your body as well. A proper diet must comprise of frequents meals that are distributed evenly throughout the day with the breakfast being the heaviest as the body gets enough time to break down and absorb whatever you take in during your breakfast.
However, one must concern a doctor or a nutritionist before adopting any sort of diet as certain types of diet can cause more harm to your body under certain circumstances.