If you have diabetes that does not mean by taking insulin injection it will be cured. You should understand why you are suffering from diabetes. There is two major form of diabetes: –
- Type I diabetes – Insulin deficiency is the reason for this type of diabetes. If you are suffering from type I diabetes then you have to take insulin injections.
- Type II diabetes – If you have type II diabetes then you have to take other precaution as prescribed but insulin injection is not needed. They become insulin resistance.
Type I and Type II diabetic patient have one common deficiency; they suffer from high blood pressure.
Best hormone for metabolism of human body is insulin
When food is consumed by the body, food started to break down into small pieces. Food gets absorbed into the blood. This results in an increase in glucose level in the blood. Insulin is a hormone which is produced by the pancreas.
It helps in reducing blood glucose level in the body. Both Types I and Type II diabetic patient suffer from an increase in blood glucose level. It also results in an increase in body weight. Diet management and regular exercise are the only way to avoid medication.
Recommendation for diets
- If you are suffering from diabetes or symptom of having diabetes in future, then it is time to consult a dietician for a proper diet for diabetes An experienced dietician is a valuable asset for the patient.
- Physical activities and regular exercise are very important for losing fat from the body. Apart from diet management, they are also important for the patient.
- Consumption of food should be managed properly. Higher consumption of carbohydrate may result in an increase in glucose level in the blood. Higher protein consumption is dangerous for the diabetic patient as it will affect their kidney.
- Calories intake should be managed properly as it can affect heart and kidney also.
Food that should be included in diet for diabetes patient
It affects the blood sugar level the most as compared to protein or fat. When consumed, it breaks down into glucose and affects the blood sugar level in the blood. Fruit, vegetable, whole grain and beans are the main source of carbohydrate. Especially Whole grain, milk and fruit should be included in the diet for diabetes patient.
Dietician calculates carbohydrate to insulin ratio before recommending the diet for diabetes patient. Low carbohydrate diet is recommended by a dietician. Some of them are: –
- The Atkins diet – According to this diet, consumption of complex carbohydrate is not allowed.
- Low crab diet – A low crab diet includes the south beach, the zone and sugar busters’ diets. Food that is consumed later takes more time to digest and it helps to control hunger. The last food stabilises insulin in the body.
- Mediterranean diet – It is a healthy diet for diabetes patient. It includes consumption of vegetable, fruits, fish and other healthy diets.
It cannot be digested by the human body. It passes through the intestine and help in the metabolism of human body. Fibre can be categorised into two: –
- Insoluble fibre – White bran, whole grain, seeds, nuts, fruits and legumes are rich in insoluble fibre. It helps in weight loss and eliminating body fat. Dietician mostly includes insoluble fibre in the diet for diabetes type II patient.
- Soluble fibre – Dried beans, oat, barley, apple and citrus food are rich sources of soluble fibre. It helps in maintaining cholesterol level in the blood. It helps in reducing blood pressure. It requires more water for dissolving.
- Soluble fibre supplements – These foods contain psyllium and glucomannan. It requires less water as compared to soluble fibre.
- Substitute Food for Fat
These foods deliver the qualities of fat without increasing additional calories to the body. It includes: –
- Sterol and stanols found in plants, when consumed help in reducing cholesterol level in the body.
- Olean is another substitute found in the plant.
- Artificial Sweeteners
It is a chemical that gives sweetness of sugar when consumed without increasing calories. It does not affect blood sugar and protect heart and kidney.