Irrespective of whether an individual is trying to control or prevent diabetes, changing his or her lifestyle and eating habits will have a huge impact. Losing weight is one of the most important aspects as far as reducing blood sugar levels are concerned. Scientists and doctors believe that an individual can reduce the level of blood sugar by a great deal if he or she loses about 5 to 10 % of his total body weight.
Losing weight will in turn reduce the blood pressure as well as cholesterol level of an individual. Well, now the question arises, “How do you lose weight?” Doctors and scientists believe that the easiest means to lose weight is by maintaining a proper diet. As a result, if you have been diagnosed with diabetes, doctors would give you a diet for diabetes so as to rid you of this menace for good.
Factors that increase the risk of diabetes
There are two major circumstances that need to be considered under this subhead. The individuals who are facing such circumstances have a greater risk of being diagnosed with diabetes as compared to individuals who aren’t facing them. The circumstances are as follows:
- If a man is having a huge waist circumference, i.e. 40 inches or more, then he has a high probability of having high blood sugar levels.
- If a woman is having a huge waist circumference, i.e. 35 inches or more, then she definitely has a high probability of having high levels of blood sugar.
I guess, you can see that excess mass often results in diabetes. Hence, in order to control this mass, a proper diet for diabetes is strongly recommended.
Tips that you may consider
When trying to deal with diabetes, a proper diet for diabetes is a must. This section ought to provide individuals with a few tips as far as making a proper diet for diabetes is concerned:
- You must choose a food items that have a high fibers and offer slow release of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are indeed necessary in your diet but in appropriate quantities.
- Controlling the amount of sweets you have: If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, it is not necessary that you must quit consumption of sugar. Rather, quitting you have a negative impact on your health. The key aspect that must be considered here is moderation.
- Controlling the amount of fats you consume. Fats are of two types, one does the utmost harm to your body while the other comes with numerous benefits. Both however, are rich in calories. For individuals having high blood sugar levels, it is recommended that they control the consumption of fats as they are prone to heart diseases and extra fats will in turn increase the risks.
- Have small meals at short intervals. This gives you body the time it needs to absorb the food. You breakfast must be your heaviest meal. This must be done because it gives your body a whole lot of time to digest the heavy food.
- Maintaining a food diary is quite beneficial as it helps you keep a record of what all you have and indeed in the long run you will be able to produce this in front of your doctors.
Thus, you can see that having a proper diet for diabetes isn’t that difficult after all, you certainly won’t have to quit your favorite deserts. All you need to do is consult a nutritionist or consider the steps listed above.
When doctors prescribe you with a diet for diabetes, there is nothing extra ordinary in your diet. It is nothing but a healthy diet that any individual can follow so as to stay fit and healthy. An healthy diet comprises of foods that are rich in vitamins, minerals, fibers and roughage.
The ingredients that are a must for your healthy diet are:
- Non – fat dairy products.
- Lean meats.
- Whole grains.
Hence, you can certainly observe that you don’t need to have anything other than what you have been asked from your childhood by your parents.
You don’t need to worry any longer, take up a proper diet for diabetes today!